Thursday, October 6, 2011

Homework...

Since we (and yes I mean "we" because this is proving to be a family affair) started Pre-K...we've had Homework...


This has been as much as an adjustment for Dave and I as it has been for Kate as it's just "one more thing" to add to our already jam packed nightly routine...


And the kicker?!? It's once a week...what we'll do when it becomes a nightly occurence I don't know and am trying not to worry about...I've got a year before that becomes my reality...


This week's assignment...to think of 3 goals that she has for Pre-K...3 things she wants to learn...


And it got me to thinking...what are my goals?!? And to be honest...I couldn't think of any...so often than not, I'm thinking of others...what Kate and Drew need, what Dave needs, what my boss needs...that I'm not comfortable thinking of myself...


But I need to...not because I am selfish, but because I have a responsibility to myself, a love for myself and to be all that I need to be for others, I need to take care of myself...and I have only this one chance...


I heard it said recently..."Regret does not come from the things that we say or do, but instead regret comes from those things that we do NOT say or do..."


How true! For in doing or in saying, we are not letting the fear, the unknown, the logistics, all the reasons why we shouldn't stop us in our tracks...we are going for it...we are living...


The first step is identifying WHAT we want to do...and I don't think we have to think of goals of being "lofty achievements" - they can be something simple like "I want to wake up 5 minutes earlier so that I can truly savor my morning cup of coffee instead of gulping it down as I run around the house getting everyone up and dressed" or "I want to make sure that in the craziness of the end of the day, I take the time to change into my "comfy clothes" so that I don't wake up on the couch still in my work clothes at 1AM..." On second thought, those are lofty goals some days...but my point is, start with the WHAT - big or small...


Then we figure out HOW...there is ALWAYS a way...


Looks like I have a little homework of my own to do...

1 comment:

  1. Well dag... This one didn't post either. You have catchpas, I see...

    Anyway, I think I said something to the effect that I have a dreams and goals list written on paper, and I'm encouraged to keep it in a place I see frequently (the bathroom mirror is a good suggestion). I used to keep it in the front console of my truck, but it's moved somewhere else. I'll need to get it again and put it back there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete