Monday, October 10, 2011

Because I Knew You...

Last week, Christie and I treated ourselves with tickets to Wicked...it was a great show and I was so glad to enjoy it with a great friend!

I have to say, the last musical number of the show, "For Good", brought tears to my eyes...

As Elphaba sang to Glinda "I know I'm who I am today because I knew you...so much of me is made of what I learned from you...you'll be with me like a handprint on my heart..." I felt a stirring in my heart as I thought about the many people that have made me...ME

I am a firm believer that people are brought into our lives for a reason, bringing with them a lesson we need to learn...that we can't learn without them...

And the fact is, I don't recognize that enough, thank those people enough for all that they have done and continue to do...until NOW...

Dave - You've taught me to live in the moment...not to worry about what could happen or think about all that I have to do...you remind me that if I'm constantly thinking about the future, I risk missing the moment that is unfolding in front of me...

Christie - You've taught me strength...you have faced and overcome experiences that I haven't and to be honest, that I'm not sure that I could...and each and every time, you have possessed such strength, you have done what you knew needed to be done, no matter how hard, you have kept going...never letting fear get the best of you...

Meredith - You've taught me the values of both hardwork and perserverance...I am so in awe of the things that you have accomplished...obtaining both a Master's degree and a PHD while balancing the demands of a growing family and teaching; then, taking your knowledge of the classroom and the "inner-workings" of a school to a role in Human Resources to help find the "best fit" of teacher and school -- you are such a "people person" and this role fits you so and while I know this may not have been the path you saw for yourself, I want you to know how very proud of all that you have accomplished, of all that you continue to accomplish, for even though you are not standing in front of a group of students, your impact is still felt in the classroom...

Stacy - You've taught me to have faith...to believe that things will work out as they should, and that may not be as we plan, but that's ok because we must keep the faith...When things feel as though they are spiraling out of control or getting a bit "scary", we need to keep going...to continue putting one foot in front of the other, knowing that it is all part of a greater plan...that we will learn from these experiences...and that no matter the outcome, we are not alone...we are supported by the love of our family, our friends...

Mandi - You've taught me to have character...to not let your experiences get the best of you, to define you...

And there are others, so many others...they may have drifted in and out, but their impact is still felt each and every day, they are carried in my heart and always will be...

To ALL of you...Because I knew you, I have been changed for good...

I love you ALL -

No comments:

Post a Comment