Saturday, October 8, 2011

Holding On...

While with my mom the other day, I watched her knit a scarf...with her own hands she was creating something for someone...

When that scarf is worn they will think of her...

And I know how special that is because I am lucky enough to have a scarf of my own as well as several things that she has cross-stitched for me throughout the years...In those gifts, I have something "tangible" to hold onto, to remind me of how she loves me so.

Ask Dave and he'll tell you, I'm BIG about being able to see something, hold onto it...it's how I learn, it's how I remind myself, now that I think about it, I see that it's how I bring comfort to myself...when I'm in doubt, I can find this object, I can hold it tight to my chest, and be comforted...

And because it's what I SEEK, what I CRAVE, I often try to GIVE it to others...but here's the rub, I often feel as though I fall short, I can't sew, knit, crochet, paint, draw...

I'm not really much of a cook, though this is an area I'd like to improve on as I love the thought of Kate and Drew saying "I really love my mom's _____ (right now they'd say, "I really love it when my mom picks up dinner from Martins!")

BUT what I have come to see recently is that I have the gift of my words...the ability to put my thoughts and feelings down, to describe how I feel about someone... to give them a piece of my heart to hold onto in the moments they need comfort...

We all have a way of leaving something for someone else, something to bring them comfort, to remind them on a hard day that they are loved, cherished...once we figure it out, we should put it to use because we all need something to hold onto from time to time...

No comments:

Post a Comment