Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Little Moments...

Thanksgiving...

Christmas...

Birthdays...

Anniversaries...

All of the above...they are what we consider to be "special occasions"...moments to slow down, celebrate, to be thankful for all that we have...

This week has been one of those weeks where most has NOT gone according to plan, I was at home on Monday with Drew and find myself at home again today with Drew...in between doses of medicine, I've had lots of time to catch up on my favorite daytime TV...In doing so, I caught the end of a Hallmark commercial and their tag line, it caught my attention, and gave me pause...

"Life is a special occasion"...so to the list above I'd like to add "Thursday mornings" -- Thursday mornings spent cuddled on the couch with Drew, he's clutching his favorite blue puppy as he lays on my chest and I'm just breathing him in...I want to always remember what it feels like to have his hands holding onto my shirt because he doesn't want me moving, I want to always remember the sweet smell of his breath, I want to always remember how soft his hair feels as I run my fingers through it...I just want to always remember...

As I head into the crazy (much by my own design) holiday season, I've made it my goal to celebrate the little moments of every day life and make them special...as there is much to celebrate each and every day, not just the days denoted on our calendars!

Here's to Thursday mornings at home with Drew, Friday nights at home with Kate and Dave having pizza, watching a movie in our pajamas, Sunday afternoons on the couch with Dave, he watching football and me cheering on the "other team" as that's the only way it's fun for me!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this one made me tear up!! Beautifully written sentiments that I feel all the time but never can find the words to express. Love your use of imagery and figurative language to elevate the ordinary moments beyond any calendar holiday. My favorite line is "I'm just breathing him in." God, do I know that! Thanks, Lori, for sharing your sacred Thursday morning with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. How easy it is to overlook the little moments when facing the sink full of dirty dishes, the pile of clothes that need ironing, the...We all need to appreciate this time with our children.

    ReplyDelete