Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Destination...Unknown

As I've written before, I feel as though I'm on a journey...while I may know both HOW and WHERE I started, the final destination...it remains UNKNOWN

Along the way, I've been thinking a lot about my goals, my needs, my wants - my desires to be a better mom, wife, friend, employee, my desire to want to love myself more...to love myself as deeply and intensely as I love others...

But I've come to see recently is that I'm not alone...we ALL want these things...we ALL want to better in one way or another...

Life is crazy...I know I'm constantly running from one place to the next, often getting there "just in the nick of time" (and sometimes with hardly a memory of how I got there)...and in this craziness, I'll be the first to admit that I think often of myself. Simple things like "I really wish this other driver would go just a bit faster so that I could pick up Drew on time" or "Really?!? The lady in front of me at the grocery store does not have her debit card out and ready to swipe at the first opportunity?!?" Or maybe even more complex things like asking a coworker or neighbor how they're doing, but not really stopping to listen to their response - sure I may HEAR what they have to say, but am I LISTENING? Am I paying careful attention to the tone in their voice? To what they say and just as importantly what they don't say?!? Sometimes I wish we could wear signs to "alert" others to the journey we're taking. Maybe the sign would say "I'm a new mom..." or "I'm unhappy in my marriage..." or "I want to be loved..." or "I need a good friend to share a cup of coffee and a good laugh..." I think seeing the signs would remind us that we all struggle to find our way, to better ourselves...

We're not alone in our travels...we're all on a journey of some sort and we all have our baggage to carry...we need to take the time to acknowledge each other, to be there for each other, and most importantly to learn from each other...

The first stop in my journey...VULNERABILITY...allowing others to see "me"...my moments of weakness, my moments of worry, my moments of insecurity...and let me tell you, it's scary, it's almost paralyzing, but it's also liberating, for not only is my life being touched but so are the lives of others...

No comments:

Post a Comment